Social Media - an addiction like all others!

 

I have found myself scrolling social media like crazy in recent weeks.  When bored. When tired. When needing down-time.  Hell, I'm even writing about it.

This morning I left my phone upstairs while having a coffee with mum in the kitchen. And I was pacing nervously about. She just asked: "What's wrong with you today? You're pacing about like mad."

The truth is, I had left the phone and was unable to quell the itch to look at social media. I wanted to see whether my recent story had any likes, whether my recent photography posts had received reactions, whether my posts had any views. And it goes on. Bloody crazy, if you ask me.

So I thought: this deserves to be treated like an addiction.  You cannot take the first peek (outside of set peeking times, at least) and you have to 'do something else' rather than indulge in the social media world.

Going in there, I risk becoming sucked in like a whirlpool, while life is going on outside. Not good.

The withdrawals being experienced are akin to those of substance addiction - sleepless. I wake up in the middle of the night to check who's looked. And possibly, who hasn't. To see the impact of my posts, validating me. As though external validation were (ought to) be necessary.

It's probably a great crutch when passing through something ugly.  As my supporters have always told me:

This, too, shall pass.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back ....

A Metaphorical Death

A Grave Miscarriage of Justice