I'm not a Joiner!

 A couple of weeks I was having a  chat with a friend of mine, who's an NLP Trainer. Incidentally she was my trainer but this was a chat over a meal, as friends. As we do.

The subject came up, of myself participating in some voluntary activities. I mentioned that as I've grown older it's become much. much harder to commit to anything.  I'll explain.

Years ago I used to sign up for things - ballet classes, voluntary groups and other activities that required time and commitment, usually on a weekly basis and sometimes more.

As the years rolled by, I found that this became increasingly difficult. No matter how much I loved the activity, the intention, the idea behind it, I just could not come up with the grit. I would join for a few weeks, a few sessions, a few events but then feel unable to commit.  

This made me very unhappy and gave me a sense of dissatisfaction, because I kept comparing myself with others, seeing them gain achievements through commitments and sacrifice. I was, and still am, unable to be bothered.

I would often try and then feel swindled of my money, even if in reality I was not being swindled. and feel a generic level of discontent at having signed up for something that I then could not follow through. Time, other interests, work. life - all came in the way. This ended up causing nothing but grievance, so my friend's comment gave me instant insight. Neither do I like hanging around the same crowds all the time - I love to meet different people, hold them dear, and meet them  again and again; just don't have to be with them all the time.

Back to this conversation a few days ago: I felt an instant relief, when she described the exact feeling (and explained it): "I'm not a joiner!"

I said, "What? What are you talking about?"

"Well," she said, "I'm not a joiner. I will participate, I will do things as and when I think I should but I won't join."  Or words to that effect.  She was talking about not take any long-term commitment to be ever-present in any particular activity. Or that is what I heard! And, further, that's ok.

I felt a huge form of release. I love my friends, I love to volunteer for a good cause, I love to be around people but I will not be tied down. I cannot handle it and I know I will not stick to it. 

And a sense of freedom.

No more yearly memberships unless I wanted them to access something.  No long-term commitments - just one task at a time. Thus, for example, if there is an activity by an environmental organisation, I could join in that, give my all in that activity but I would no longer feel obliged to join the club and start participating, only to have my interest dwindle later. Continued commitment would - or could - come naturally if I decide to involve myself in any activity. Or maybe not. 

And that's ok. 

Thank you, Jackey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainy Melancholy

Bouncing Back ....

Cloudy mornings ... and other random thoughts